The Andrea Brown Literary Agency Inc. has been in business since 1981 and was the first agency to represent both writers and illustrators. We have sold thousands of books and have made deals with every major trade publisher and most of the small independent publishers. Writers Digest Magazine named us one of the top twenty-five literary agencies taking on new talent. We represent clients at all stages of their careers; from first time writers and illustrators to established, best-selling and award-winning authors and illustrators with many published books to their credit.
As a mid-size literary agency celebrating almost forty years in the publishing business, we bring the best of both worlds to the table: the personal client attention of a small agency and the clout of a larger one. We invest a great deal of care in each project and each client. We devise a strategy at every stage of the writing process, from conception, to editorial, to publication, that is tailored to the client and will enable us to find the best publisher for his or her books. We are seeking long-term relationships with writers and illustrators whose careers we can develop and whose talent we can foster.
In conjunction with the Henry Miller Library, our agency runs the Big Sur Children's Writing Workshop and the Big Sur Fiction Workshop. For more information, go to our website: www.andreabrownlit.com
Jemiscoe is actively building her list in the following categories:
• Creators that illustrate any age group from picture books, chapter books, middle grade, and YA
• Contemporary - can deal with hard themes, but with added humor for the younger reader. I am especially looking for stories that cover marginalized voices, biracial storylines, and interracial friendships!
• Fantasy: urban fantasy, paranormal – GHOSTS! And WITCHES!
• Horror - would love any kind
• Graphic Novels
• Novel in Verse
• Romance - RomCom, fantasy, and/or LGBT. Give me all the love stories in whatever form they come.
• Contemporary - especially, but doesn't have to be friendship joy or struggles
• Fantasy - in all forms except high fantasy
• Mystery - would love a "Who-done-it.”
• Novel in Verse
• Romance – RomCom, Contemporary (especially from underrepresented voices)
• Upmarket - psychological thrillers, friendship stories, strong powerful-women stories, or laugh-out-loud stories
• Suspense/Thriller and cozy mysteries (think Golden Girls but with a dead body)
How to Submit:
For fiction, please submit through QueryManager at http://QueryManager.com/Jemiscoe. Please submit a query letter, a 1-2 page synopsis, and the first 10 pages of your manuscript. For graphic novels, please submit your proposal, a 5-page sample of your script, and a link to any sample pages. For illustrators, please submit a link to your online portfolio.
What Jem may love but doesn't think she could champion:
• No Sci-fi
• No Non-fiction
• No Historical
• No Picture Books (only by referral)
• No Chapter Books (only by referral)
• No Military Fiction
• Short Story Collections (although, I might be down for the right literary voice)
• No manuscripts that have a strong religious theme
• No books where the oppressor learns their lesson off the back of the marginalized