The Analyst will work within the Hachette Book Group Corporate Strategy and Pricing team to provide research, analysis, and reporting in support of the team’s work in strategic planning, pricing strategy, and mergers and acquisitions (M&A). The analyst will provide business insights related to marketplace trends and emerging competition to drive profitable growth opportunities for the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Analyst will support multiple functions of the group, with varying emphasis over the course of a year, including:
• Pricing strategy: collecting and analyzing pricing data; designing and analyzing pricing trials; assisting in developing and maintaining pricing models and processes.
• Strategic planning process: conducting research and compiling trend and industry data; assisting in creation of Strategic Plan documents; analyzing internal performance related to strategic initiatives; and conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis
• M&A: profiling targets; tracking due diligence checklists and project management of post-merger integration.
Other duties include:
• Reporting: Prepare regular and one-off reports of findings, illustrating data graphically and writing narrative that includes translating complex results into recommended actions
• Presentations: Creating presentations based upon research and analysis; providing insight for the Strategy & Pricing team and executive management.
• Special projects: support special corporate projects on an as-needed basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s degree in analytical field
• 3-5 years of related business experience
• Demonstrated skills in research, quantitative and qualitative analytics, and project management.
• Advanced proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel (e.g., creating advanced formulas/functions, working with multiple worksheets, performing V and H lookups, creating Pivot Table and Pivot Chart reports, performing statistical analysis), database tools (e.g., SQL) and statistical tools
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to present complex analyses in a clear and concise manner.
• Ability to deliver on numerous projects on tight deadlines with strong attention to accuracy and detail.
• An ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Knowledge of trade book industry and book industry research tools a plus.
• M&A experience a plus.