The Group Marketing Director will drive the marketing strategy and lead the execution of marketing and publicity initiatives to build our brands and authors. This position will establish the vision and strategy for multi-platform advertising and promotional programs, working alongside our marketing and sales teams to ensure proper executive of marketing campaigns, product launches, and channel strategies. Primary focus will be on the school/library marketing, with additional focus on trade and classroom marketing. An overview of responsibilities include:
• Develop and spearhead marketing and publicity strategies and programs.
• Manage, direct, and supervise the marketing, publicity, and design teams.
• Oversee all aspects of ad planning, ad trafficking, promotional efforts, production schedules and mailings, and sales support programs to align with overall corporate initiatives.
• Oversee development, production, and quality of all catalogs and marketing materials, including innovative approaches to print, online, email, and social media marketing campaigns.
• Manage integration of all online and offline marketing and publicity to create a customer-centric, best-practices-driven, and cohesive brand image.
• Develop and manage department budget, in collaboration with market managers.
• Serve as marketing liaison to content development teams and review products for optimal marketability in acquisition stage, early development, cover and series design development, and titling.
• Lead website strategy and development in collaboration with other stakeholders. Identify online promotion tactics that will increase online traffic, drive eCommerce transactions, and increase customer loyalty.
• Track and report metrics on and analysis of marketing and publicity programs. Present findings to management team and make recommendations for future changes.
• Promote company/key books/key authors or illustrators through speaking engagements at key conferences, journal/magazine/newspaper articles. Work with executives/authors/illustrators to develop topics for and successfully carry out content marketing such as articles and blog posts.
• Oversee and approve all printed and electronic materials to promote books and imprints/company to the media and customers.
• Monitor the company (brand) image and manage brand identity standards.
• Cultivate relationships with key book review editors (e.g. Publishers Weekly, School Library Journal, Booklist, Kirkus, Horn Book, etc.), as well as key book bloggers and influential librarians involved in the review and award process.
• Represent company at industry conventions and meetings as needed.
Qualifications: Solid self-starting, project management, and exceptional writing and communication skills—as well as drive—are essential to the Group Marketing Director position. Proven organizational skills, detail-oriented, marketing, publicity or public relations experience, a strong interest in children’s book publishing, and the ability to prioritize projects and daily tasks to meet long-term and short-term deadlines. At least five years publishing marketing and/or publicity experience is required.
Founded in 1959 and based in Minneapolis, Lerner Publishing Group publishes more than 400 new titles each year and has 5,000 titles in print. For more than 50 years, we’ve created exceptional award-winning nonfiction and fiction books for grades K-12 that educate, empower, and entertain. No matter what educators and young readers are looking for, LPG is sure to publish a book they’ll love.