Shambhala Publications seeks an energetic, experienced acquisitions editor with strong knowledge, interest, and hands-on experience in the areas of Buddhism, mindful living, yoga, health and well-being, and psychology.
• Cultivate relationships with a network of authors and agents connected to Shambhala’s subject areas.
• Acquire at least 8–12 original manuscripts per year.
• Identify and keep a close watch on trends in subject areas to channel into new projects.
• Evaluate book proposals and manuscripts and provide editorial feedback to authors to craft ideas and projects.
• Communicate clearly and effectively with fellow Shambhala team members and authors.
• Maintain an intimate familiarity with Shambhala’s editorial interests and our team of editors in order to assess the strengths of different projects.
• Comfortably manage and organize multiple projects simultaneously.
• Act as the primary point of contact for authors throughout the initial project development process and maintain ongoing connections with authors after acquisitions.
• Meet regularly with Shambhala’s Editorial Committee and help to identify, evaluate, and cultivate new authors and projects in a collaborative setting.
• Broad knowledge of book publishing processes and functions (editorial, production, design, copyediting, marketing, sales)
• Excellent communication, project management, and networking skills
• Excellent intra- and inter-departmental communication and collaboration skills
• Excellent computer skills, especially in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, flexible, and able to prioritize varied workload
• Current contacts including authors, illustrators, agents, etc. in the book publishing industry
• High level of skill in organization, analytics, and verbal and written communication
• At least three professional references
• Minimum of three years of acquisitions experience in book publishing strongly preferred
Position is full time in our Boulder, Colorado office. Remote applicants will not be considered. Send cover letter and résumé or cv to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we regret that we might not be able to reply to every e-mail unless following up for an interview.
Shambhala Publications is dedicated to creating books, audio, and immersive courses aimed at improving lives—in ways big and small—in the hope of contributing to the development of a thoughtful, kindhearted, and contemplative society. In the words of our first author, Chögyam Trungpa, “Enlightened society has to be real and good, honest and genuine.” We hold these words as a guiding principle and try to reflect its sentiment in each and everything we make and do, from publishing timeless spiritual classics and cultural treasures to contemporary explorations of what it is to live a meaningful and honest life that benefits the people and world around us.