Shambhala Publications seeks an energetic, experienced developmental editor with strong knowledge, interest, and hands-on experience in the areas of Buddhism, mindful living, yoga, health and well-being, and psychology.
• Develop original manuscripts editorially (including all editorial aspects of book development—structural editing in collaboration with authors (all developmental prior to mechanical copyediting); writing jacket copy, website copy, fact sheets for sales reps, and other marketing copy as required; oversight of the finalization of the manuscript after copyediting and oversight of several phases of proofs, coordination and collaboration with production, design, marketing and publicity; etc.
• Coordinate closely with Shambhala’s acquisitions editors and Editorial Committee to identify trends in Shambhala’s subject areas.
• Maintain professional connections with a wide range of authors and agents
• Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Act as primary point of contact for authors throughout the publication process.
• Potential role in assisting the Editorial Committee with book acquisitions (identify, evaluate, and cultivate new authors and projects).
• Broad knowledge of book publishing processes and functions (editorial, production, design, copyediting, marketing, sales)
• Excellent communication, project management, and networking skills
• Excellent intra- and inter-departmental communication and collaboration skills
• Excellent computer skills especially Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Excellent editorial, rewriting, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, flexible, and able to prioritize varied workload
• Current contacts including authors, illustrators, agents, etc. in the book publishing industry a plus
• High level of skill in organization, analytics, and verbal and written communication
• At least three professional references
• Minimum of three years of experience in developmental editing and book publishing preferred
Position is full time in our Boulder, Colorado office. Remote applicants will not be considered. Send cover letter and résumé or cv to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we regret that we might not be able to reply to every e-mail unless following up for an interview.
Shambhala Publications is dedicated to creating books, audio, and immersive courses aimed at improving lives—in ways big and small—in the hope of contributing to the development of a thoughtful, kindhearted, and contemplative society. In the words of our first author, Chögyam Trungpa, “Enlightened society has to be real and good, honest and genuine.” We hold these words as a guiding principle and try to reflect its sentiment in each and everything we make and do, from publishing timeless spiritual classics and cultural treasures to contemporary explorations of what it is to live a meaningful and honest life that benefits the people and world around us.