This position will offer the right candidate exposure to all aspects of the world of international literary agenting and publishing, from initial manuscript development to final publication. It’s a small office, so there’s an opportunity to be involved in and exposed to many aspects of the business. You’ll read a lot, write a lot, and learn a lot about publishing, especially foreign rights, editing, and agenting.
We are looking for someone thoughtful, personable, organized, detail-oriented, and proactive, who is able to work both independently and as part of a team. Must be a strong reader, writer, and editor, with 4-year college degree and 1-2 years’ prior work experience with a background in Creative Writing, languages, English, Film, or related field. Knowledge of InDesign a plus.
Fluency in French (able to read a manuscript, translate press, answer phones, and reply to emails) is required.
- reading and evaluating solicited and unsolicited submissions,
- editing/copyediting manuscripts, including translations,
- helping to prepare manuscripts for submission (includes creating pitch letters and presentations, researching potential editors, editing manuscripts, and keeping track of offers and rejections),
- scheduling agent meetings for international book fairs,
- preparing materials for book fairs including agency catalogues and presentations,
- managing social media presence (Facebook, Twitter),
- monitoring and compiling author press and publicity,
- general administrative support: answering phones, scheduling meetings and maintaining office schedule, preparing mailings, providing local author support, filing, updating agency website, coordinating with finance/contracts department, working closely with Paris and London offices.
Full-time. Benefits: Medical, vision, dental, 401(k). Salary commensurate with experience.
Created in 2000, Susanna Lea Associates is an international literary agency with offices in Paris, New York, and London. Our aim is to work in close collaboration with authors and publishers in order to maximize the potential of each project both domestically and in translation.
The defining characteristics of our list are:
- Our authors and projects all have broad international appeal;
- Our taste is eclectic: we are interested in works of both fiction and non-fiction, commercial and literary;
- We pride ourselves in keeping our list small: we prefer to focus on a select number of projects rather than spread our energies thin.
We work closely together and we consider all projects as a group before committing to taking them on. While each client has one primary contact to work with on a day-to-day basis, all members of the team work together to maximize the potential of each project.
Our New York office is located in Chelsea. Check out our list at www.susannalea.com.