Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, is seeking a Manager, Trade Sales to work within the Sterling Trade Sales department. We are seeking a creative, innovative, and passionate, yet responsible risk taker who is looking to make an impact within the department as well as the organization. We require excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
The Manager, Trade Sales will oversee all aspects of selling all Sterling titles, both adult and children’s, to the national wholesalers, as well as, support the Director, Trade Sales with the independent bookstore business through the management of commission rep groups, in the US and Canada. The Manager, Trade Sales will also be responsible for opening up new revenue streams including (but not limited to) digital and proprietary channels to market.
• Manages and grows business with key accounts on all levels including traditional print, e-book, proprietary, and all other platforms.
• Prepares sales kits and presents all front list and backlist titles to accounts on a seasonal basis.
• Develops seasonal merchandising plans with accounts.
• Oversees day-to-day business by tracking orders, running P&L statements, directing coop, analyzing sell-through and providing sales projections and forecasting.
• Analyzes sales data to develop effective presentations and identifies new opportunities for growth.
• Provides insight and feedback on customer preferences, retail trends, and merchandising needs.
• Builds and maintains strong relationships with buyers and collaborates strategically.
• Provides weekly account feedback to marketing, publicity, operations, editorial and sales management teams
• Attends and participates in seasonal launch and pre-sales conference meetings
• Collaborates with marketing services and online team to create effective selling materials.
• Maintains knowledge of competitive titles and market conditions, as well as advertising and promotional activities.
• Conducts business reviews with accounts annually.
• 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience required.
• 3-5 years of publishing sales experience; direct selling experience strongly preferred.
• Experience with children’s book sales is a plus.
• Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Proven ability to successfully manage both external and internal relationships.
• Proven record of building new businesses.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office 2007.
• Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize effectively.
• Strong time management skills and ability to adapt to changing needs.
• Ability to travel frequently, up to 20%.
• Proven ability to work quickly in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.