Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Associate or Senior Editor - Communications Chemistry
Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. We are currently seeking an Associate/Senior Editor to join Communications Chemistry - a new multidisciplinary open access chemistry journal. The journal will complement our existing Nature Research open access titles, Nature Communications and Scientific Reports.
The Associate/Senior Editor role is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate their desire to learn in a more creative and dynamic environment.
The responsibilities include:
- To assist with the selection of manuscripts for publication.
- Suggesting and creating content for the journal, website and social media.
- Devising and supplying editorial content for special projects.
- Ensuring quality and speed of peer review.
- Maintaining a balance of tact and firmness when communicating with authors.
- Ensuring Production receives manuscripts in an appropriate and complete state.
- Engaging in Masterclasses to support business requirements.
- Other tasks as required.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in physical chemistry, catalysis or a related discipline such as materials for energy applications. Post-doctoral experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- A genuine passion for chemistry and the ability to use it creatively to innovate and improve current practices and products.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
- This role is located in either our London, New York or Shanghai offices. All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK, USA or China. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis.
- Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
Applicants should include a CV, a covering letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a separate concise (<400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments that you found particularly exciting (stating why). Closing date: 13th March, but candidates will be considered as they apply.