Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Job Title: Managing Editor, BMC series
Location: This role could be based in either or London, New York or Shanghai office
Are you an experienced scientific editor keen to increase your leadership responsibilities?
If you have a commitment to life sciences, sound editorial judgement and experience of line management then we’d like to hear from you.
The Managing Editor for BMC series will lead a team of Editors who run a group of journals on the BMC Series, including well known titles such as BMC Genomics and will support the Executive Editor in developing the strategy for the BMC series as a whole.
Line management and leadership of a team of BMC series Editors
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management qualities, managing a team of Editors to be successful in their roles, achieving high standards of editorial judgment, author service and editorial board engagement.
- Monitor submissions, publications, turn-around times and author satisfaction, ensuring that targets are met, identifying issues early and proposing and implementing solutions to address any challenges.
- Recruit, train and supervise new members of the team, ensuring that all team members are supported in their roles and have opportunities for professional development.
- Have an overview of the journals within your group, understanding their current performance and development strategies, identifying trends in the relevant fields, and working with the Editors to drive the success of these journals.
- Ensure that strong proactive communication channels are set up with all external editors and board members.
- Develop excellent relationships across Springer Nature to facilitate cooperation with other teams and departments.
- Take on additional projects as required, taking a broad view across the BMC series, BioMed Central and the publishing industry.
- Maintain an oversight of relevant team documentation and ensure that this is kept up to date.
Contribute to implementation of the strategy and vision for the BMC series:
- With the editorial team, implement development plans for the group of journals to publish more leading research in their fields and respond to the needs of the community for each journal.
- Foster the ethos of being open, inclusive and trusted.
- Provide input into the strategic goals of the BMC series as a whole, and work with the Executive Editor to implement the strategy.
- Take responsibility for projects that have an impact across the series in line with the strategy.
- Understand market, competitor and industry trends and provide information for potential new launches and other opportunities.
- Proactively identify and drive ways of improving the performance and/or reputation of the series.
Represent the BMC series in the ORG, publishing and scientific communities:
- As required, input into cross-business projects as a representative of the BMC series.
- As required, engage in profile-raising activities and presentations, advocating for the BMC series and the principles of open research.
- Develop a network in the scientific and publishing communities.
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Experience in publishing within an STM setting.
- PhD in a relevant field of biological or biomedical sciences, or equivalent experience.
- Line management experience.
- Knowledge of editorial processes and peer review.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Customer focus.
- Strong time-management and prioritisation skills.
- Analytical, able to respond to non-routine circumstances and a positive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to manage budgets and prioritise resources.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Experience of developing editorial strategic plans.