Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Associate or Senior Editor, Nature Metabolism
Location: Berlin, London or New York
Do you love science but feel that a research career isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world? Do you enjoy reading papers outside your chosen area of research? If the answer is ‘yes’ to any or both of these questions, you could be the person we’re looking for to join the editorial team of Nature Metabolism.
Nature Metabolism is a new journal from Nature Research that will launch in 2019. The journal aims to publish exceptional research, reviews and comments in the fields of metabolism and metabolic health, including organismal and cellular metabolism, integrative physiology, ageing, as well as on metabolic diseases and the metabolic syndrome.
To help realize this vision, we are looking to recruit editors with a strong background in any area of metabolism research – individuals with a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet. Candidates with specific expertise in metabolic diseases (such as diabetes and obesity), cardiovascular research, or a relevant area of cell biology (for example, cellular energy metabolism) are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applicants must have a PhD and, preferably, postdoctoral experience, with a strong research track record. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- Research experience to PhD level (or equivalent) in a relevant research area (see above).
- A thorough understanding of recent trends and developments in the field is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas within this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers that we seek to publish.
Working within a dynamic editorial and publishing environment that also includes Nature, Nature Medicine and Nature Cell Biology, the successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor, and will be expected to play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in this new journal, and in shaping its perception in the field. They will handle original research papers and review material, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review. The ability to offer well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice is crucial. They will liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and experts in the international research community.
The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis, and will ideally be located in our Berlin office, although requests for working in our London or New York offices will also be considered.
Please apply by sending your CV, covering letter (including your class of degree, a brief account of your research and other relevant experience, and details of your current salary) and a concise discussion of some recent developments in the broader field of metabolism research which you have found particularly exciting (explaining why).
CLOSING DATE: 31 December 2017