Min. Experience: 4 years
Crooked Lane Books is looking to fill the position of Production Editor/Manager. The ideal candidate will oversee copyediting, proofreading, and trafficking of the imprint’s seasonal title lists, and input metadata into the title management system at acquisition and maintenance from that point, keeping all necessary departments updated on changes. Approve text and cover/jacket materials before printing, ensuring quality is maintained. Run weekly production meetings and work with the editorial, design, marketing, and sales departments to suggest solutions, estimate print run numbers, make decisions on scheduling issues, and take charge of ordering and maintaining inventory.
This position reports to the Publisher and is based out of our New York office.
● Production Responsibilities
○ Establish and maintain inventory and distributions pipeline to ensure timely delivery of quality books at or below budget.
○ Establish a working relationship with domestic and foreign suppliers and vendors.
○ Establish technical guidelines and publishing policies / procedures for internal and external resources.
○ Oversee any pre-press procedures, production, manufacturing, and distribution quality control.
○ Work with publisher to finalize seasons and prepare materials for scheduling meetings, seasonal presentations, and pricing meetings.
○ Create, issue, and maintain production schedules.
○ Recruit and evaluate freelancers (copyeditors, proofreaders, designers). Monitor the quality of freelance work and set and maintain guidelines for house style. Evaluate invoices, negotiate fees, and make suggestions for hiring freelancers.
○ Edit and/or proofread book manuscripts in preparation for final design and typesetting following the guidelines of the Chicago Manual of Style.
○ Copyedit and proofread indexes, jacket/cover copy, and other material, including a variety of advertising, promotional, and marketing materials.
○ Apply for Cataloging-in-Publication data from the Library of Congress; establish and maintain databases and files containing author, contributor and project information
● Administration Responsibilities
○ Work with internal parties affecting inventory to ensure that financial and operational targets are met for first print quantities and reprint quantities.
○ Gather data to support print quantity recommendations including: sales activity, gratis, inventory levels in all warehouses, bookseller inventories, revision dates, and costs.
○ Independently monitor, prepare, and circulate selected weekly and month-end reports detailing sales velocity and inventory activity.
○ Identify out-of-print candidates and excess inventory and arrange for it to be remaindered and/or removed from the warehouse.
○ Issue purchase orders, process all invoices and file paperwork pertaining to the department, and manage stock transactions
● Required Qualifications:
■ 4+ years’ experience in publishing or a related industry, at least 2 years of which are in book production, manufacturing and/or distribution.
■ Bachelor's degree or equivalent
■ Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines efficiently and effectively.
■ Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills. Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
■ Ability to find gramatical and spelling errors in this listing.
■ Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style.
■ Excellent analytical and math skills.
■ Ability to complete tasks and projects requiring cooperation, instruction, negotiation, and persuasion.
■ High level of proficiency in excel, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and other Microsoft Office applications.
■ Specific knowledge of inventory management, distribution, current and forthcoming print technologies, including digital product fulfillment
■ General familiarity with basic accounting, manufacturing, freight, warehousing.
■ Knowledge of InDesign and Adobe Creative Suite (Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator).
■ Experience managing a budget
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
Founded in 2014, Crooked Lane Books is a new fiction publishing house. Our goal is to produce the highest quality mysteries, thrillers, and suspense titles for readers in both print and electronic editions. With our experienced team, hands-on approach, and innovative marketing techniques, Crooked Lane Books partners with each author to consistently excite, delight, and entertain passionate readers of genre fiction.