We are seeking a Designer to join the Penguin Random House design team! The Designer will create highly shareable social media content, online and print ads, and other promotional materials for several imprints, mainly Penguin and Penguin Classics, but also includes Viking and Riverhead. The ideal candidate will perform well under tight deadlines, seek innovative design content solutions, manage multiple projects in a well-organized and detail-oriented fashion, and have a keen interest in brand design trends found on social media. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in steering highly esteemed literary and commercial brands into exciting new directions in an open exchange of ideas with marketing, publicity and editorial teams.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Creating stop motion video and animated gif-based content as well as creative static images for social media platforms.
* Designing and producing print and online advertising.
* Photographing and retouching marketing images.
* Assembling and editing live motion video clips with type overlays and audio into short trailers for books.
* Constructing page layout designs.
* Designing book cover mechanicals for galleys.
* Working directly with the Marketing and Publicity teams under the direction of the Art Directors.
* Working directly with vendors and printers.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Minimum of two years' experience as a staff designer, publishing experience a plus
* Highly proficient in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
* Knowledge of After Effects, strongly recommended
* Strong interest in illustration and hand lettering
* Proficiency in page layout and type design
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Strong organizational skills
* Excellent attention to detail
* Proven ability to create and revise designs in a demanding fast-paced environment
* Ability to perform color correction and pre-press for print ads and promotional items
* Photography skills a plus
* Knowledge of Final Cut Pro and Dreamweaver a plus
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your résumé, cover letter, and portfolio with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children's publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children's Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.