The Monacelli Press is looking for a highly motivated, creative, sociable, and high-energy acquisitions editor to acquire, edit, and publish 10 illustrated books/year in the subject areas of lifestyle, interior design, decorating, and gardening.
This position manages all aspects of the editorial process, from acquisition to development to publication, including working closely with sales, marketing, and publicity departments in order to optimize positioning and maximize sales for each title. Candidates must have significant illustrated editorial expertise and a proven track record of finding and working with writers, photographers, and designers. We are seeking someone who can acquire and publish books that make an impact in these categories. This is a perfect opportunity for someone with solid experience and a deep passion for acquiring and bringing to market beautiful, illustrated books of the highest quality and commercial potential. Interest and/or experience in interior design, home decor, gardening, and the visual arts preferred.
• Acquire, develop, and edit titles with critical and commercial potential within the assigned categories (lifestyle, interior design, home decor, gardening);
• Obtain production quotes, run profit and loss statements, prepare acquisitions materials;
• Work directly and negotiate contracts with authors and agents as well as with book packagers and publishers on coeditions;
• Shepherd manuscripts through the design, editorial production, and production process from concept to bound book;
• Work with the marketing and publicity department to develop marketing and promotional plans;
• Write fact sheets, jacket, and catalog copy;
• Present titles at various sales meetings;
• Effectively and sensitively communicate and maintain productive relationships with high-level experts and authors;
• Extensively research the subject areas, current trends, and the competition.
• Bachelor’s degree;
• At least 3-5 years of editorial and acquisitions experience within the publishing industry, preferably with illustrated books;
• Excellent interpersonal skills, good judgment, ability to balance multiple projects, sense of humor;
• Proven experience in acquiring and publishing multiple high-quality, profitable, and critically viable projects;
• Ability to conceptualize ideas, acquire books, and work with authors at a fast pace;
• Established relationships with agents, industry colleagues, and design professionals;
• Great negotiation skills;
• Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills;
• A proven track record of turning ideas into books;
• Comfortable in a small company setting where you may need to perform duties outside of your job description, and where collaborative work is the norm;
• Exceptional time-management skills and the ability to multi-task across departments, activities, and projects;
• Must be highly disciplined, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and well organized with superior ability to manage time, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently;
• Strong understanding and awareness of general marketplace and relevant market segments within industry;
• Keen proofreading skills;
• Proven editorial skills in shaping excellent written text;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), graphics programs (InDesign, Photoshop).
The Monacelli Press is a leading publisher of illustrated books in fine art, design, architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, gardening, lifestyle, graphic design, photography, artisanal crafts, art instruction, and photography technique.