The Director of Marketing will manage the day to day marketing operations of LSC Communication’s Publishing companies. They will be responsible for planning, development and implementation of all of the Organization’s marketing strategies, marketing communications, and publicity activities. The Director of Marketing will oversee the efforts of the marketing staff and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of the Organization.
A successful Director of Marketing will understand how to manage multiple initiatives in parallel from concept and budgeting through execution and performance analysis. This position requires a hands-on marketing professional who can manage a small team of marketers as well as create the strategy and lead its implementation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Create, implement and measure the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and publicity programs designed to increase sales on both front and back list titles.
2. Coordinate media interest in our publications and create media attention to front list titles.
3. Develop marketing strategy and execution plan in a collaborative environment working with managers responsible for marketing, product development, finance, customer service and operations.
4. Monitor and refine social media strategy for both front and back list titles.
5. Participate in the strategic planning process. Manage the creation and presentation of marketing plans and budgets, including quarterly reviews of results and forward looking forecasts.
6. Direct the development and execution of marketing campaigns, across all channels of our business.
7. Work in a hands-on fashion with the marketing team to develop effective new customer acquisition and customer retention programs. Implement data-driven testing and measuring methodologies to drive continual improvement in financial performance.
8. Direct the use of customer and prospect databases to improve the quality of list selection across mail and email campaigns with the objective of improving both customer experience and campaign performance.
9. Lead the development of brand messaging that targets products to a diverse array of consumer niches including: graphic designers, crafters, musicians, teachers, mathematicians, crafters and parents of young children.
10. Direct managers in the use of analytics tools to drive effective reporting, analysis and learning from campaign results. Take a hands-on approach in assessing campaign effectiveness and manager analysis.
11. Research, negotiate and manage outside PR and media agencies to maximize coverage of the company and its offerings.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Business
Seven to ten years of direct marketing experience, selling products directly to consumers and trade customers.
Experience in book publishing is required.
Strong skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and publicity activities
Strong quantitative skills; exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising direct reports
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Highly organized with very effective time management skills
Computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout.
Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
Strong oral and written communications skills.
Ability to manage multiple projects at a time