Scientific American, the longest continuously published magazine in the U.S., has been bringing its readers unique insights about developments in science and technology since 1845. Scientific American has 5.3 million print and tablet readers worldwide, more than 7.5 million visitors on ScientificAmerican.com, and appears in 15 translated editions, which are read in more than 30 countries. Launched in 1996, www.ScientificAmerican.com has become the dynamic resource for science news, including blogs, podcasts, videos, and interactive media.
Scientific American is part of Springer Nature, one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
The Scientific American team requires a UX Designer to join into NYC based team. As a senior leader of this team you will be responsible for user research and generating insight that informs the UX and design of the product so as to satisfy both business and user requirements.
This role will report to a UX Lead (based in the London office) and will also be part of a community of UXD in the Digital Systems STM (Science, Technology & Medicine) division. This person will work with the Scientific American team to ensure that high quality software is delivered that meets the primary goals of the business and satisfies user needs
Job responsibilities within 3 months:
We want to improve the user experience and product discovery of our online store. With this in mind we you will set up a research program to analyze whether user needs are being met by the current site. You will be directly responsible for the research throughout the life cycle of the project. The Research Lead will support you in designing and establishing a research program in order to validate the design decisions instead of design through assumptions.
* Work closely with the UX Research Lead to create and update a panel of users for your project
* Organize, run and analyze the sessions with users
* Collaborate with the Market Research department to validate the design hypothesis about user behaviors and attitudes
* Apply relevant research methods depending on the project schedules and deadlines
* Motivate and involve the team members in the research activities
* Share findings within the project team and the design team
Job responsibilities within 12 months:
Our longer terms goals are also based around implementing improvements to conversions. Using insights generated from the ongoing user research program, you will do an end-to-end evaluation of the our principle product from a conversion perspective, looking for opportunities to optimize calls to action, improve the product mix and messaging, and evaluate the current site navigation, store design, cart and checkout.
* Work with the Product Owner and other stakeholders to focus attention on improvements that satisfy user needs and business goals
* Focus on Improving discoverability of products across the site
* Develop ideas to Increase the checkout rate for mobile users
* Look at ways to simplify the checkout process
* Evaluate and improve the current site navigation
* Work with the business to analyze subscription based products and identify opportunities for better conversions
* Work with our Art Director on evaluating the current store design and whether it fits with our business and user needs
* Look for opportunities to improve the design of the store in line with increasing conversions
As an essential part of the daily product development, you will build on the established design process, and within 1 month of starting you will be working collaboratively with all members of your team.
* Work with your product owner, business analysts and developers to build solutions to user needs iteratively and quickly
* Participate in daily stand-ups with your development team
* Collaboratively design, test, and develop solutions with your team
* Have daily conversations with your product
Experience, education, skills and qualifications required:
* Bachelor’s degree in related field
* Significant digital experience with at least 5 years UX experience (at least 3 of these working in Agile/Lean)
* Strong UX research background and an interest in helping people develop their research skills
* Experience of continuous delivery or a frequent release cadence
* Significant industry experience in a senior UX role on a variety of software projects.
* Experience in working in an e-commerce focused UX role
* Great track-record of successful projects and can articulate lessons learned from these
* Experience working with other disciplines
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: