Palgrave Macmillan specialises in cutting-edge academic books in the Humanities and Social Sciences. It publishes monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, in subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Linguistics and Business.
Commissioning Editor/Senior Commissioning Editor – Sociology and Anthropology
Palgrave Macmillan, a part of Springer Nature, is a global cross-market publisher specializing in cutting-edge academic books. We publish monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, in print and online. In subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Linguistics and Sociology, the list contains original works by many of the foremost scholars, writers and editors in the world, including Nobel laureates and internationally recognized experts.
Palgrave Macmillan is looking for a motivated Commissioning Editor or Senior Commissioning Editor to manage the Sociology and Anthropology list in our New York office. The ideal candidate will be a commercially-aware, target-driven, energetic, and creative self-starter, who is passionate about scholarly publishing.
Reporting to the Publisher for Sociology and Social Policy, the Commissioning Editor or Senior Commissioning Editor will be responsible for acquiring and publishing a program of research monographs, edited volumes, Handbooks, Palgrave Pivots, MRWs and advanced texts for the scholarly market, to ensure the strategic growth of the list. Specific responsibilities include:
* Seek out new authors and book ideas: actively research ideas, topics, and people for potential books and book series in line with the list and company strategy.
* Evaluate proposals and manuscripts to determine commercial viability, audience, and market; offer editorial feedback.
* Developing a strategy to ensure sustainable growth of the list in line with the wider divisional and company strategy.
* Negotiate the acquisition/contract process with authors, signing an agreed number of new titles each year.
* Serve as a project manager for each book project, coordinating delivery date, manuscript formatting, production workflows, and author management to ensure publication targets are met each year.
* Attend academic conferences and conduct campus visits to meet new authors as well as to promote and build the Palgrave brand in the sociology and anthropology market.
* Liaise with global editorial colleagues as well as production, sales, marketing, and publicity.
* Work with an editorial assistant to ensure high-quality list management.
* Other duties as required.
* Bachelor’s degree.
* strong publishing experience.
* Experience in an editorial acquisition capacity and/or in an academic publishing environment.
* Familiarity with basic Microsoft Office applications; database familiarity preferred.
* Superior verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional organizational skills and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work independently.
* Keen proofreading skills.
Please ensure to include a cover letter along with a CV in your application.
Please submit your application by August 12, 2017.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: