Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Nature Partner Journals are a portfolio of high quality Nature Research journals published by Springer Nature together with world renowned partners. The Publishing Assistant provides support to Publishers and Managing Editors across the US and UK. S/he receives direction and work assignments directly from the Associate Publishing Manager with input from the global team.
Under the supervision of the Associate Publishing Manager, the role provides support for the Publishers and Managing Editors and spans a diverse range of functions including: creating and evaluating new journal proposals; market analysis; project management of journal launches; management of journal web sites; creation of journal reports; oversight of editorial payments. The Publishing Assistant must be able to analyze incoming calls/e-mail and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Associate Publishing Manager’s absence. Must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task.
· Handle non-strategic issues to assist Managing Editors and Publishers in maintaining scholarly journals: office point of contact when Publishing Manager is traveling, prepare new Agreements for Editors with input from Managing Editors or Publishers, update internal systems, request checks, maintain addresses Editorial Boards, etc.
· Prepare market research to support the identification of new journal leads and provide support to the Publisher and Associate Publishing Manager through the journal approval process, including assistance with the creation of Project Assessment Documents.
· Support the Publishers and Managing Editors with the administration necessary for meetings that are essential to the successful operations of a journal, including Editorial Board and Joint Management Committee meetings.
· Maintain frequent cooperation with Business Operations and Policy colleagues responsible for Abstracting and Indexing Applications; prepare initial Abstracting and Indexing applications for review
· Assistance in coordinating featured article selection and website updates, including basic proof reading of the websites.
· Provide assistance with tasks relating to set up and maintenance of relevant Community sites, including completion of set-up forms, user account management, ad hoc contributions to community posts and other admin roles.
· Maintain editorial and other payment schedules; work in liaison with Accounts to raise and code invoices and follow up to ensure timely settlement of all payments.
· Pull data for internal and external publisher reports, including ad hoc reports for journals as necessary.
· Maintain centralized database - list of contacts, specific mailing lists, meeting schedules and notes.
· Perform other related duties essential to the management of a portfolio of high quality journals as required.
· Keep abreast of developments in the STM publishing industry in general.
· Use Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word and Outlook, plus additional database software, including internal systems: JFlow, etc.
· Ability to travel to conferences when needed
- Bachelors degree with at least 6 months of office experience.
- Preferred minimum 2 years' experience in either science publishing or journal publishing.
- Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software capabilities is a must.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of office procedures including excellent grammatical skills and exceptional inter-personal skills
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, follow directions, work accurately and exhibit strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer Nature.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster: