BioMed Central (BMC) is a large portfolio of peer-reviewed open access journals for Science, Technology and Medicine. The journals span all areas of biology, medicine and health, including broad interest titles such as BMC Biology and BMC Medicine alongside specialist journals, such as Malaria Journal and BMC Infectious Diseases.
The Open Research Group (ORG) of Springer Nature publishes a large portfolio of peer-reviewed open access journals across disciplines within STM (Science, Technology, and Medicine), spanning all areas of biology, medicine, and health, including broad interest titles such as BMC Medicine alongside specialist journals, such as Critical Care and Arthritis Research & Therapy.
We are looking for a talented individual to take accountability for the commercial success, strategic development and reputation for a large portfolio of journals in the Health Sciences team. You’ll be responsible for maximising the efficiency and profitability of the portfolio and championing the needs of the portfolio, Editors-in-Chief, and sponsoring societies of journals within the portfolio. Using your leadership and influencing skills, you will coach and manage your team to achieve business goals. The role will also have a very strong emphasis on business development/acquisition. This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated publishing professional to work in a high-growth environment.
Specific responsibilities of the Publisher include:
1. Maximize the efficiency and profitability of a large portfolio of journals across a wide range of disciplines within the Health Sciences (HS) portfolio:
* Set annual revenue and cost budgets, in cooperation with the Global Head HS, and monitor performance to ensure targets are met, taking corrective action where necessary. Monitor financial performance of journals in the portfolio through regular reporting and forecasting.
* Drive and monitor team performance against journal development plans.
* Ensure that travel budgets are efficiently managed.
* Liaise with other departments (within ORG and within Springer Nature overall) to ensure that functional tasks, such as technology, marketing, advertising sales, supplements, production, and finance, are undertaken correctly and efficiently.
* Implement new policies, processes, workflows, and systems as specified.
2. Contribute to the overall strategy and development of a portfolio of journals in the HS portfolio:
* Propose and implement overall strategies and plans for assigned list of journals in the portfolio to ensure growth that is in line with market opportunities and in response to the needs of researchers served by the journals.
* Develop and implement the strategic goals of the portfolio, ensuring that these are in line with broader goals of ORG as a whole.
* Ensure that consistent policy and process are applied to journals in the portfolio.
* Understand changes taking place within the industry and propose developments to ensure that journals in the Health Sciences remain relevant and profitable.
* Understand business opportunities and requirements in the key global regions in which ORG Academic Journals operate (including competitors in the region and growth trends).
3. Line management within the HS team:
* Provide line management and support to Associate Publishers/ Journal Development Managers in the team.
* Demonstrate leadership and influence across the HS team and throughout the business, as relevant.
* Communicate regularly with Associate Publishers/ Journal Development Managers to review progress against objectives and carry out annual performance and development reviews; ensure that Associate Publishers/ Journal Development Managers provide appropriate support and guidance to their staff as needed.
* Set, monitor, and report on key performance indicators.
4. Provide support to external customers (e.g. Editors-in-Chief, Society leadership):
* Build and maintain positive relationships with society partners and external Editors-in-Chief as needed in order to provide support to the HS team.
5. Build and develop new business:
* In cooperation with the Global Head, HS, develop and drive the acquisition strategy for Health Sciences within ORG, including researching, formulating, and implementing subject strategies across all areas of the health sciences.
* Identify opportunities for new and transfer proprietary and society titles.
* Establish and maintain positive relationships with potential society partners; meet with potential partners to discuss publishing goals; write solution-focused proposals that address their goals; as required, give presentations related to proposals to potential partners; negotiate and execute contracts with publishing partners.
6. Understand and champion the needs of ORG Health Sciences, its Editors-in-Chief and sponsoring societies of journals within the portfolio:
* Communicate regularly with Editors-in-Chief, Editorial Board members, and society leadership to build and maintain strong relationships and to understand their needs, motivations, priorities and pain points, and work with other members of the Health Sciences team and ORG colleagues to address them.
* Ensure that we produce journal development plans that provide a roadmap to meet the needs of Editors-in-Chief, authors, and readers (as appropriate).
* In collaboration with the Editorial Communications team, ensure that communication with Editors-in-Chief is relevant and timely in order to pass information to them and to gather feedback.
* Forward information about markets, subjects, researchers, or news as appropriate within ORG.
* Senior management of the BMC Group.
* Marketing, sales and supplements teams.
* Finance team.
* Production and web services teams.
Experience, skills and qualifications
* Extensive experience in publishing, preferably within an STM setting.
* Graduate degree, Health Sciences preferred.
* Strong understanding of the Health Sciences market.
* Excellent communication skills, including oral and written presentation skills.
* Customer-focused approach.
* Strong prioritisation and time management skills.
* Strong financial skills, including experience with budgeting and P&L oversight.
* Ability to work as part of a team.
* Enthusiastic and committed.
* Approximately 40% - 50% travel required.
Strategy & Planning (incorporating Business Awareness)
Understands the needs and direction of the business in context of market opportunities and threats, anticipates and develops business priorities to meet these. Embraces change and drives to improve current working practices/products/technologies to grow the business.
Society Relationship Management
Extensive experience in managing society relationships, providing solutions, and negotiating.
Experience in journal acquisition, including acquisition of society-owned titles, with experience in identifying potential acquisition targets (pre-RFP targeting); managing the RFP process, including critical assessment of the RFP document, P&L development, and proposal and presentation preparation and delivery.
Teamwork (incorporating Communication, Influencing and Trust)
Build effective relationships through positive communication that motivates and influences others. Honest and trustworthy; a valued team member, actively involved in achieving team objectives. Works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team.
Use technical/job knowledge and experience to meet and exceed job requirements/customer expectations. Efficiently manages workload and projects within set timelines and to agreed budget, achieving set objectives.
Customer Focus (internal and external customers)
Nurture relationships by recognizing and delivering on internal and external customer’s needs and opinions. Help others to understand the implications of their decisions. Develop and sustain productive internal and external customer relationships.
Personal Effectiveness (incorporating results focused, productivity, ownership, delegation)
Produce outstanding results both professionally and personally by being proactive and committed. Continual focus on achieving positive results that contribute to the overall success of the business.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: