Welcome to the Author Salon Commercial Novel Writing Program page on Publisher's Marketplace. This program is designed for writers in every stage of novel writing, from beginners to veterans, by a team of industry professionals that includes agents and publishers who wish to provide aspiring authors with comprehensive, rigorous training in the art and science of writing commercial fiction in multiple genres. Our learning modules have been developed to train you for success, using several pragmatic immersion methods. See our program and module syllabus pages for more information. We expect you are also seeking advice and consult from these same agents and editors, and will benefit from tapping into our contact networks. Regardless, at the conclusion of the program you will have:
1) A review by program professionals of your story premise and all major novel elements, as well as your prose narrative, for purposes of determining your competitive status vs. other writers in your genre.
2) A thorough outline of all your novel's plot beats and points.
3) 100 pages or more of your novel, or narrative non-f, in competitively polished shape.
4) A working-knowledge of the most highly regarded, industry-accepted techniques for craft writing, resulting in a personalized and competitive narrative style.
5) A realistic publication plan going forward based on your manuscript's current stage of development, as well as your writing skills.
6) A personalized consultation with one of our agent-faculty members to support your development of a professional agent query letter (if you and the faculty agree the time is right).
Why Is This Novel Writing Program Unique?
- Our "model-and-context" and "cross-module method" approach to studying and applying proper technique on all vital levels (see our program page and a sample of our program) while your novel is being effectively developed and edited at the same time.
- Our detailed 16 module syllabus that notes all the major elements covered as well as the authors studied or referenced (see our syllabus page).
- The array of fiction works studied and referenced in the program modules (see our works page).
- The books and analytical fiction articles studied in the program (see our works page).
- Our layer by layer approach to teaching you how to write multi-angled and unpredictable cinematic narrative, taking show-don't-tell to its ultimate expression.
- Our program faculty which consists of a best selling author and three literary agents very hungry and actively looking for new projects for both film and book purposes (see faculty page). If your novel manuscript is very close to being a publishable work, we will most certainly refer you to one of many literary agents known to us via our contacts on Author Salon, or else take on your project ourselves for representation to major commercial publishers (Random House, Harper Collins, etc.), but we cannot guarantee this by any means. Keep in mind, however, it is in our very best interest to get you an agent or book contract, since this is great publicity for our program.
- The fact that advice and critique on all levels derives exclusively from faculty professionals. In our opinion, this approach is crucial. If you wish to learn how to build your own house, and then actually do so, or invest your money wisely and then actually invest it, you know better than to seek advice from inexperienced non-professionals. Why? Because the issues are important and the stakes are high.