Alloy Entertainment, a creative think tank and full-service editorial partner that develops and produces original books, television series, and feature films, is seeking an Editor to join its publishing staff. Alloy Entertainment produces approximately thirty new books a year, which are published globally in more than forty languages. More than eighty of Alloy Entertainment’s books have reached the New York Times Best Sellers list, including most recently The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon, The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee, Max by Jennifer Li Shotz and 99 Days by Katie Cotugno. In addition to its commercial success, Alloy Entertainment’s books have received critical acclaim, including 17 starred reviews in 2016 and several awards nominations for its titles. The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon was a National Book Award Finalist, a Printz Honor book, a Walter Dean Myers Award Honor book, and won the Coretta Scott King-John Steptoe Award for New Talent. If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo won the Stonewall Award for teens, and was also a Walter Honor book.
The ideal candidate for the job is a creative thinker who both enjoys working both collaboratively and independently. Candidate must enjoy a dynamic office and creative colleagues, be willing to be themselves and bring their taste and passion to their books, and must take pride in their work. We are a small team looking for an editor to take on some existing projects and build their own list. Experience in a variety of genres is a plus. (We are seeking an Editor but will review applications at other levels, as well.)
Editor Job Responsibilities
• Develop, edit, and manage a list of approximately 10-15 titles per year with limited supervision.
• This includes: providing line and overarching edits to authors; working with authors to develop outlines; writing and editing cover and promotional copy; maintaining author and publisher schedules.
• Pitch and develop story and property ideas, from one-liners to full plot treatments. Development goal is to sell 3-5 original projects per year.
• Initiate and maintain relationships with writers (for existing and new projects), editors, publishers, and agents.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• BA/BS degree.
• Minimum 5 years experience in editorial, preferably in book publishing. Experience in children’s/YA books a plus
• Knowledge of the marketplace, in publishing, film, and television.
• Ability to manage complex book schedules with tight deadlines.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Established relationships with writers and agents.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work well with a team as well as independently.
• Flexibility to work extended hours to accommodate crash schedules when necessary.