VIZ Media, one of the largest graphic novel and pop culture publishers in North America, is seeking an Associate Publisher to manage and grow our list of bestselling titles.
The Associate Publisher will report to and assist the Publisher in overseeing all aspects of VIZ Media’s book business.
Successful candidates will have:
▪ 7+ years of experience in the publishing industry, including experience in leadership roles
▪ superior management, communication, and business planning skills
▪ strong knowledge of book publishing and understanding of the marketplace
▪ proven contacts in publishing industry
▪ professional experience in licensed trade books, illustrated books, and/or graphic novels
Reporting to the Publisher, the Associate Publisher will be responsible for managing and developing VIZ Media’s print and digital book business, both domestic and international, with a focus on Sales, Marketing, Production, and Finance. The Associate Publisher will work closely with senior Editorial staff to shape the overall publishing list, including acquisitions, backlist management, new product development, and imprint strategy.
1. Assists Publisher in all aspects of driving the company’s publishing business to meet top and bottom-line performance targets, as well as seeking out and defining potential growth initiatives.
2. Supervises Publishing Sales team—whose primary responsibilities include account management and negotiation, retail development planning and execution, and distributor relationships—to meet sales goals and objectives for both print and digital product lines for all territories.
3. Works closely with Marketing staff to develop and execute promotional strategies on both individual property and brand levels, including social media, publicity, and events planning.
4. Supervises Publishing Production team, whose primary responsibilities include scheduling and production for all print and digital books, inventory planning, vendor management, assets and metadata management, and budgetary oversight for cost of goods.
5. Works closely with Finance staff on all aspects of revenue and cost planning, from individual title P&Ls to departmental budgets, and sets annual performance goals together with executive team.
6. Works closely with the Publisher and senior Editorial staff to shape the overall publishing list, including acquisitions, backlist management, new product development, and imprint strategy.
7. Coordinates with Licensing staff to help manage and cultivate licensor and external partner relationships, working with other teams to address licensor requests and reports as needed.
8. Works with Legal staff to negotiate deals and draft agreements with external business partners as needed.
9. Represents and advocates publishing projects both within the company and to external business partners and consumers at meetings, industry events, trade shows, and conventions.
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned.
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL, AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
▪ Strong knowledge of book publishing and understanding of marketplace a MUST
▪ Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under multiple deadlines in a highly organized and professional fashion a MUST
▪ Skill with productivity programs, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) a MUST
▪ Proven contacts in publishing industry STRONGLY PREFERRED
▪ Knowledge of graphic design programs, specifically Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop) PREFERRED
▪ Proficiency with computer usage, including email, Internet, and standard software
▪ Ability to make both business-oriented and creative judgments
▪ Ability to think creatively, dynamically, and work in a rapidly evolving market environment
▪ Ability to pay strong attention to detail
▪ Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
▪ Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
▪ Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
▪ Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
▪ Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
▪ Ability to work legally in the United States
▪ Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
▪ Ability to travel as needed (meetings, tradeshows, conventions, etc.)
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
▪ Equivalent of 7+ years of relevant experience in publishing industry a MUST
▪ Professional experience in licensed trade books, illustrated books, and/or graphic novels STRONGLY PREFERRED
▪ Bachelor's Degree (English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Comparative Literature, Communications, or related field) from an accredited college or university or equivalent with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
This position supervises designated members of the Publishing team, and may give guidance to the work of interns and freelancers.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 15 pounds, kneeling, bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.
Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media) is one of the most comprehensive and innovative companies in the field of manga (graphic novel) publishing, animation and entertainment licensing of Japanese content. Owned by three of Japan's largest creators and licensors of manga and animation, Shueisha Inc., Shogakukan Inc., and Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions, Co., Ltd., VIZ Media is a leader in the publishing and distribution of Japanese manga for English speaking audiences in North America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa and is a global ex-Asia licensor of Japanese manga and animation.
The company offers an integrated product line including magazines such as SHONEN JUMP, graphic novels, and DVDs, and develops, markets, licenses, and distributes animated entertainment for audiences and consumers of all ages.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Applicants should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.