W.W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support a trade editor. This is a full-time, entry level position.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Management of manuscripts in all stages of production; preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production.
• Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages.
• Administrative management: organizing and maintaining files; tracking manuscripts and reviews; faxing, copying, printing, and emailing.
• Generating promotional copy for catalogs, book jackets, and sales-related materials.
• Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
• Reading and evaluating manuscripts quickly and writing reader’s reports.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours in our Manhattan office.
• Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills.
• Strong interest in fiction and non-fiction books.
• Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
• Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
• Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
• Must be self-directed and independent.
• Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
• Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy, with minimal mistakes.
• Mastery of email and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• In-depth knowledge of social media.
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please be sure to indicate the job you are applying to in the subject line.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.