Position Description: Seeking an experienced designer responsible for the YA and middle grade titles published by the FSG Books for Young Readers and Roaring Brook press imprints.
• Conceptualize and execute original book covers for all YA and middle grade titles on the RBP and FSG BYR lists
• Design interior sample pages and create specifications for compositor
• Hire and manage freelance photographers, illustrators, and letterers.
• Work closely art director and editors
• Participate in production meetings and jacket meetings
• Prepare files for the printer, and approve proofs and other progress materials.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
Collaborative, versatile, and creative designer with:
• Ability to concept and create exceptional book design.
• Skilled at photo/art/illustrator research.
• Strong typographic skills.
• Mastery of the current Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
• Ability to work on multiple projects at once and meet tight deadlines.
• Some prior experience with the book making process.
• A minimum of 3 years of work in the field
Educational Background Required:
• College level training at an accredited art school preferred, but not required.
Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor/Forge Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC.