Position Description: Experienced senior editor to provide creative and strategic leadership and creative conceptualization, organization, production, and coordination of compelling books in lifestyle categories such as food, home, gardening, gift and health and wellness. . Primary responsibility for books in the Southern Living publishing program and potentially other brands.
• Provide creative and strategic senior editorial leadership to assigned brand(s) and to editors working on that brand and on Senior Editor’s staff. Function as senior editorial client liaison as needed.
• Function as brand editorial leader, collaborating and strategizing with brand leaders regularly as needed and ensuring a one-brand view between the magazine and books. Establish and identify needs and standards for brand’s recipe development and testing, photo, and design.
• Oversee projects from concept through published work, including conceiving and proposing compelling books competitive in retail sales markets; creating and managing deadline schedules; collaborating on recipe development, testing, and editing as needed; researching, writing, and editing text; planning and supervising photography; delivering clean manuscript in a timely manner; and supporting marketing and promotions departments.
• Work with Associate Publisher, Editorial Director, Creative Director, and book Editors to generate ideas for trade books and bookazines; spearhead regular brainstorming efforts, encouraging connecting with the marketplace and maximizing commercial potential.
• Work with strategic managers (Editorial Director, Creative Director, Test Kitchens and Photo Directors, and Managing Editor) to facilitate scheduling, processes, and quality, and to minimize costs. Manuscripts must deliver on time and within established procedures for given brand. Own the budgeting process for given brands.
• Be the direct reporting manager for Editors on your staff; responsible for hiring permanent and temporary edit staff as needed.
• Recommend, recruit, supervise, and edit freelance writers and other freelance personnel as needed.
• Make assignments to optimize scheduling, maximize as well as build talents, and mentor and train staff.
• Guide creative, content and design development by Editors on Senior Editor’s staff, as well as guide schedule development and management.
• Collaborate as needed with all teams to make sure end product meets approved specifications.
• Collaborate frequently with editors, designers, freelancers, test kitchens, photo, production, and other related team members to assure efficient and effective workflow for all.
• Devise plans for key but streamlined approval stages for editors on your staff. Coordinate with ED on approvals on per project basis. Each individual editor is responsible for the content, quality, and accuracy of their projects, with their manager approving key checkpoints (SEs for their staff, and ED for SEs). Key approval checkpoints are: proposals, initial design plan, design, manuscript, layouts, and covers.
• Participate in taste testing and/or recipe testing as needed.
• Oral and written communication with brand, consumers and industry as needed.
• Ability to travel periodically to meet with brand and author representatives.
• Additional responsibilities as needed.
5 years book publishing experience and strong agent/author contacts a must. .
• Candidate must have strong oral and written communication skills .
• Ability to work efficiently within a team is a must.
• Bachelors degree is required.