We publish a very select list. This allows the publicist to give real attention to each of the very strong titles. The scope of the tasks will require 2 days/ week of working, although the hours are flexible.
We want someone who reads widely and can speak with passion and pleasure about our books, and who is looking to stay with And Other Stories as we develop. And Other Stories has good experience of co-ordinating remote work, as our staff live in various locations. We are a small team and there is ample opportunity for the publicist to become involved in other areas depending on interest (eg having a say in acquisitions meetings, editorial work, marketing work or further bookseller outreach), however this is not a requirement of the job.
Press / publicity, incl:
- developing PR strategy and plans for each title and our company
- galleys mail-outs and related pitching and follow-up on titles. (Galleys are mailed from the publicist’s office and finished copies from the warehouse.)
- maintaining contacts databases for publicity
- writing and sending out press releases
- working with editor to find best use in the media for advance extracts, shorter pieces, introductions etc
- reporting on media coverage
- contributing to Facebook and other social media activity, incl our new blog Ampersand
- seeking friends and blurbs for specific authors or books where appropriate, and building relationships for And Other Stories in general
Reaching communities of readers, incl:
- organize or assist in events for the general public, our supporters and the press as needed, eg organising author visits (in general without accompanying author on tour)
General work responsibilities, incl.:
- correspondence, administrative and office tasks.
- work with team members where appropriate, eg to explore marketing opportunities and maximise sales in North America
- Several years’ experience in publicity for trade publishing in North America
- Ability to work well independently – and with others
- Self-motivated. Organised. Manages own time and other people well (likely to need some volunteer help with press mailouts, for example)
- Communicates with verve in person and in writing. Confident phone manner.
- Good written English for promotional copy and social media
- Tech savvy – easy familiarity with software such as Excel and general unflappability when it comes to using computers and new programmes
- Pragmatic. Has a ‘can do’ approach. Able to find solutions.
- Able to supervise and train volunteers as and when necessary
And Other Stories is an award-winning publisher of literary writing. We have been publishing for three years in Europe and for one year in North America. We published Deborah Levy’s 2012 Man Booker Prize shortlisted Swimming Home (since bought by Bloomsbury USA) and will be the worldwide publisher of her An Amorous Discourse in the Suburbs of Hell in October 2014. We have a particularly strong list of Latin American titles, as our publisher Stefan Tobler is a translator from Portuguese (and German) while our editor Sophie Lewis works from Rio de Janeiro.
From September 2013 our new titles have been represented and distributed in North America by Consortium. From April 2013 to August 2014 Sarah Russo has been our North American Director of Publicity, based in New York. Stefan Tobler also travels to sales conferences and spends some of his time in North America, meeting booksellers and critics. (This has been on the East Coast so far, eg time in NYC and visits to bookstores in Boston and Buffalo during May 2014.)