An award-winning independent illustrated book publisher located in San Rafael, CA, is looking for a skilled Project Editor to join the editorial team. We operate with an extremely collaborative and creative mentality focusing on superlatively designed and produced volumes on film, music, photography, gaming, art, and other aspects of popular culture.
The Project Editor conceptualizes, acquires, and manages new projects for our publishing program and develops these titles as they make their way through the manuscript, design, production, and marketing processes, championing each project from start to finish and taking responsibility for the editorial quality and integrity of each work.
This position is designed to be independent and innovative, requiring an individual who is experienced, ambitious, flexible, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and able to work with and coordinate teams. The Project Editor drives creative product development, giving form to the Insight’s award-winning industry-leading publications.
The books produced by Insight Editions are heavily illustrated and often push the boundaries of format in terms of scope, materials, size, ancillary elements, and design. For this reason, an ideal candidate would have experience working with text as well as illustrative elements. Subject categories for this position include art, music, sports, entertainment, and gaming.
• At least four years of editorial experience in the book publishing or magazine industry
• Exceptional editorial skills in manuscript development and oversight of the copyediting and proofreading process, as well as page layouts, page proofs, and galleys
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style
• Ability to map out a project and marry the manuscript with illustrated material through book mapping and design briefs
• Experience with creating and managing schedules, knowing how to adjust them and anticipate timing problems in advance
• Strong interest in art, music, sports, entertainment, and gaming; contacts in these areas are a plus
• Proficiency with Word, Excel, FileMaker, and other book publishing tools and programs
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite or other art and photo viewing programs
• An understanding of editorial budgets and P&L formulas
• Champion titles through editorial development and design and production processes
• Conceptualize book elements and develop manuscripts with authors
• Oversee freelance project editors, writers, photo researchers, copyeditors, and other outside contributors
• Create and enforce schedules and budgets
• Strategize with marketing and special sales to create sales opportunities, and steward marketing angles for each title.
• Write catalog and title information copy, and other copy for marketing collateral as needed.
• Research and develop publishing leads; prepare proposals
• Aid the in the acquisition of new titles; devise preliminary budgets and make financial assessments
• Work with the Publisher and Executive Editor to negotiate deals
This is a full-time position located in the San Rafael, California office. Please submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com