Fig Tree Books is looking for an exceptionally intelligent, enthusiastic, literary-minded, senior-level experienced Head of Marketing & Publicity to work as a telecommuting independent contractor for our Bedford, New York-based startup company that is focused on publishing high-quality literary fiction that deals with the American Jewish Experience (AJE). Reporting to the Publisher, the Head of Marketing & Publicity will be responsible for all marketing, promotional and publicity activities of the company and the books that it publishes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Generate a distinct “voice” for Fig Tree Books with consumers, vendors, consultants, partners, agents and authors;
• Attract new book readers and create repeat book business;
• Develop new channels for book promotion;
• Mine existing channels with creative programs;
• Provide messaging that differentiates our business and produces publicity for the Company as well as individual books;
• Integrate social media and traditional marketing into a seamless program that achieves a positive return on investment;
• Create sales materials for and be the main liaison to the Company’s primary distributor;
• Work with the Editor, Publisher, Agents and Authors to meet sales targets.
Specific activities include but are not limited to the following:
• Develop and implement marketing (including both traditional and digital) plans with distinctive features for the Company;
• Develop and implement marketing (including both traditional and digital) plans with distinctive features for each book;
• Coordinate with the Editor on outreach related to book reviews and story placements for both books and the Company;
• Supervise the Digital Social Media (DSM) marketing function that develops campaigns for both the Company and individual authors;
• Evaluate effectiveness of marketing campaigns by establishing key metrics for book marketing programs from both social media and traditional marketing points of view;
• Supervise third-party book cover and content designers.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
• 10+ years of increasing responsibility with recognizable relevant achievements within the publishing industry;
• A profound understanding of the literary landscape that deals with AJE fiction;
• A passion for novels, and an interest in publishing as a business;
• Deep knowledge of all of the promotional activities relevant to fiction book publishing with special attention to websites, blogs, consultants, etc. who specialize in promoting, reviewing and discussing fiction that deals with the AJE;
• Familiarity with the web and social media platforms as hands on supervisor or a content creator;
• An understanding of market research and analytics/metrics;
• Strong managerial and project management experience;
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Comparative Literature, or Marketing; graduate degree in business or certificate in publishing is a decided plus;
• Impeccable writing and editing skills.
The Ideal candidate needs to be able to:
• Understand the nature of and how to thrive in an entrepreneurial workplace as this position requires initiative and a ‘do-it-yourself’ approach;
• Be both strategic as well as detail-oriented and well organized;
• Represent the Company at corporate and book events;
• Work collaboratively and efficiently, especially with authors, agents, vendors and consultants;
• Exercise sound judgment while being highly responsive and active;
• Be curious about developments in digital media, the social web, eCommerce, and content marketing;
• Be perpetually willing to learn.
Applicants should be prepared to provide examples of successful book publishing programs for which they have had primary responsibility. Writing samples are also welcomed.
Fig Tree Books sources, publishes and promotes high quality, commercially viable novels that chronicle and enlighten the unique American Jewish Experience (AJE). We do this in three ways: (1) by selecting new voices that have not had the opportunity to publish fiction previously in this genre; (2) by working with authors who have previously published novels, novellas and/or short stories; and (3) by re-publishing works that have been out of print or never been available as an e-book.
Learn more about us by visiting: www.FigTreeBooks.net.