Basic Books is seeking a Senior Publicist or Publicity Manager to manage campaigns for an average of two books a month in the categories of general nonfiction, history, politics, and science. At Basic you’ll join a collaborative team of publicists with a proven track record of booking authors on major national media, obtaining review attention in major publications and planning dynamic author events.
• Creating and carrying out publicity plans for 10-12 books per season
• Attending seasonal sales meetings
• Writing press materials
• Communicating with authors (prepping authors on what to expect from start to finish of each campaign, sending reviews, brainstorming pitches, etc.)
• Booking local and national print and broadcast media
• Booking events for a limited number of book tours
• Coordinating book sales for authors’ non-bookstore talks
• Posting to social media
• Meeting regularly with media contacts and cultivating new ones
• 4 year college degree
• 3-5 years prior relevant work experience - including tour booking experience, thorough familiarity with broadcast, print and online media, and experience with non-fiction
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Must be detailed-oriented, well-organized and able to set priorities under pressure
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Cision and Publicity Assistant Database
Basic Books is a member of the independently owned Perseus Books Group.
Since its founding in 1952, Basic Books has shaped public debate by publishing award-winning books in current affairs, economics, history, politics, psychology, and science. Basic’s list of influential authors includes John Bradshaw, Richard Brookhiser, Zbigniew Brzezinski, William F. Buckley, Jr., Iris Chang, Stephanie Coontz, Devra Davis, William Easterly, Niall Ferguson, Richard Feynman, Richard Florida, Howard Gardner, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Douglas Hofstadter, Lawrence Lessig, Anthony Lewis, Thomas Mann, Alice Miller, Norman Ornstein, Samantha Power, Diane Ravitch, Timothy Snyder, Thomas Sowell, Elizabeth Warren, and George Weigel.
The Perseus Books Group is the book industry’s leading independent publishing and services company, providing print and digital marketing, sales and distribution services to more than 400 publishers including many of the world’s leading publishing brands.