The Senior Production Associate will coordinate the production and manufacturing of 1 color
trade books, inserts, endpapers and some illustrated books across HBG’s adult publishing
imprints. This position will report to the Production Director and will work closely with the
Managing Editorial, Editorial, Art and Design groups to produce high-quality books on
schedule and within budget constraints.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Cost-estimating, production scheduling, commissioning and working with freelance designers,
coordinating design services, ordering image retouching and color correction, and proof
• Working closely with prepress, printing, and binding vendors and manage supplier
performance to ensure schedule, quality, and budget requirements are met.
• Handling the production of titles by collaborating with the Digital Production and Digital
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• 3-5 years experience producing 1color books and some experience producing 4 color books.
• Detail oriented, very well-organized and able to manage tight schedules
• Can collaborate well with a diverse team of internal and external stakeholders
• Can utilizes technology, where appropriate, to improve workflow
• Exudes confident leadership, commitment and follow-thru as well as a general passion and
interest in book production
• Has an eye for color and an understanding of color printing through 4 color book production.
• Has understanding of RGB & CMYK workflows
• Seeks continuous improvement and innovates solutions
• Communicates effectively and prioritizes to meet deadlines
• Works independently as well as collaboratively
• Has strong Mac and Adobe Suite background
• Proficiency in Excel, basic math, calculating and analyzing data
Hachette Book Group (HBG) is a leading US trade publisher and a division of the third largest trade and educational book publisher in the world, Hachette Livre. A global publishing company based in France, Hachette Livre is a subsidiary of the French media company, Lagardère. HBG is headquartered in New York, with offices in Boston, MA, Lebanon, IN, and Nashville, TN. HBG also owns Hachette Book Group Canada, Inc., a marketing and publicity company based in Toronto, ON.
In one year, HBG publishes approximately 800+ adult books (including 50-100 digital-only titles), 200+ books for young readers, and 300 audio book titles (including both physical and downloadable-only titles). In 2013, the company had a record 290 works on the New York Times bestseller list, 52 of which reached #1.
HBG's bestselling authors include Sherman Alexie, Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton, David Baldacci, Sandra Brown, Stephen Colbert, Chris Colfer, Michael Connelly, Jeffery Deaver, Nelson DeMille, Tina Fey, Malcolm Gladwell, Chelsea Handler, Harper Lee, John Maxwell, Brad Meltzer, Joyce Meyer, Stephenie Meyer, J.R. Moehringer, Joel Osteen, James Patterson, Randy Pausch, Jerry Pinkney, Keith Richards, JK Rowling, J.D. Salinger, David Sedaris, Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler, Nicholas Sparks, Jon Stewart, Scott Turow, David Foster Wallace, Brent Weeks, and Tom Wolfe.
In addition to selling and distributing its own imprints, HBG provides a wide range of custom services to third party publishers, such as distribution, fulfillment, digital and sales services. Some of HBG's clients include: Harry N. Abrams, Amazing People Club, Chronicle Books, Disney Book Group, Hearst Magazine, Gildan Media, Hachette UK, Marvel, Octopus Books, Peterson's, Phaidon Press, Quayside Publishing Group, Time Home Entertainment Inc./Oxmoor House, and Windblown Media.